Friday, March 7, 2014

The positive thing about TCAP

TCAP - my kids have it this week and they are delighted to not have any homework.

I had it at VPP last week.  For me, it was mostly a cloud , but there was 1 little silver lining.

So I'm actively proctoring 19 in my room.  I have the Extra Time bunch, and nobody uses the extra time so it's just EXTRA brutal.  I know all of the students.  Excellent.  One new student, kinda surly, no evident friends, doesn't talk much and hates all things school.  Brutal.  So, when you're done with your test the only option you have is to silently read a book, or sit at your desk.  She look particularly bored, so I offered to grab a book from my library for her.  She grunted, so I took the liberty of bringing her a book.  I guessed Janet Evonovich - Plum Spooky.  

By the 3rd test session, she was completely engrossed in it!  I could see her laughing, smiling.  We talked about the book at break, she asked to borrow it.  She may have rushed through the test to get to read some more. (Nah - I didn't say that.)  I wonder if it's her first.  Mine was (Embarrassingly enough) the shining by Stephen king.

At the end of TCAP session 8, I promised to look and see if I had any others at home.  TCAP isn't all bad,  



1 comment:

  1. good call on Janet....I could see how that went over well and yay you -- you may have helped someone over to the dark side of being a lover of reading -- next thing you know she'll start a neighborhood book club that periodically meets at VI :D

    ReplyDelete

What’s all the fuss

im blogging to see if a few years from now this was really the beginning of the end for PPG. As I think it is.  I have to stay off Facebook ...